Project Management and Litigation Support
The Isosceles Group (Isosceles) has extensive experience and qualifications in the management of environmental projects and litigation support services. Isosceles has been retained to perform environmental investigations and remedial actions under state and federal law, and to manage and coordinate investigations and response actions by multiples contractors on behalf of government and industry at locations throughout the United States. Isosceles has been retained as technical experts and fact witnesses in litigation related to environmental matters, including land taking, insurance claims, and, and cost recovery.
- Environmental Management Services, Former Olin Corporation Site, Wilmington, MA. The Isosceles Group (Isosceles) (as SHD) was responsible for the oversight of environmental assessment, remediation, and regulatory permitting activities at a former chemical manufacturing facility which contained six operable units, affected over 200 acres of land, and included portions of a watershed that services five public water supply wells. Isosceles was responsible for developing the regulatory strategy under State and Federal Law, including the development of groundwater management plans and the procurement of Down Gradient Property Status for numerous affected properties, and the development of a contingency plan for the affected municipal water supply. Isosceles was responsible for obtaining State and Local approvals for the redevelopment of the former facility area in accordance with the construction policy under the MCP, WPA, MEPA, ACOE, and other state and federal regulations. Isosceles also assisted a prospective purchaser in preparing submittals to the Surface Transportation Board (STB) for the permitting and use of a portion of the facility as a rail facility. Isosceles managed the oversight of remedial action necessary to achieve regulatory closure under state law, and the management of extensive, on-going Public Involvement Program. Work completed included oversight of major Construction Related Release Abatement Measure, and implementation and management of three separate Immediate Response Actions (IRAs).
- Litigation Support Service, US Department of Justice (DOJ), US EPA Region I. The Isosceles Group (Isosceles) (as SHD) provided expert and technical witness services to the US EPA DOJ. In this capacity, Isosceles staff was were responsible for developing environmental data sets and position statements in support of agency claims regarding the source and extent of PCBs and other contaminants at a Superfund Site in New Hampshire. Based on personal knowledge and previously prepared data sets, Isosceles rendered opinions regarding the nature of contamination, and industry standards for chemical management and use at the time of the release, and conditions which lead to a release.
- Assessment/Expert Services Related to Municipal Land Takings, Metropolitan Boston Area, MA, Various Law Firms. The Isosceles Group (Isosceles) (as SHD) is retained by landowners and representing counsel to assess the impact of environmental conditions, on the anticipated highest and best use of property that has been taken by state and municipal agencies. Properties include land taken by the Massachusetts Highway Department, and various municipal redevelopment authorities, for infrastructure and economic redevelopment. Isosceles has provided opinions and testimony on the applicability of the Massachusetts Contingency Plan (MCP) and remediation requirements established for the Central Artery A/T project, on the redevelopment of contaminated properties.
- Strategic Planning and Environmental Management, Northwest Park, Burlington, MA. The Isosceles Group (Isosceles) (as SHD) provides Environmental Management Services to the owner and operator of a 180 acre commercial office and technology park which is the historical source of ground water contamination affecting the municipal water supply of Burlington, Massachusetts. The Park consists of over 40 buildings which were developed in the 1960s and ‘70s. Isosceles staff have been responsible for the planning and management of comprehensive environmental response actions, including performance of a pump test at the municipal wells and modeling of the impact of pumping on water quality at the wells; the development and implementation of long-term remediation strategies; and the management of a Public Participation Program. Isosceles is currently working with a multiform management team to obtain permits for a comprehensive redevelopment plan, which includes the preparation of an Environmental Management Plan to address existing conditions and on-going remedial action during redevelopment. Isosceles is responsible for managing communications regarding environmental matters with local health officials, and financial interests involved in the proposed redevelopment of the Park.
- Technical Direction and Project Management Support Services, GE/Housatonic River Site, Pittsfield, MA. The Isosceles Group (Isosceles) (as SHD). Senior Staff are currently supporting EPA's assessment and remediation of the GE/Housatonic River Superfund Site, one of the largest and most controversial PCB-contaminated sites in North America, and one of the largest and most complex environmental remediation projects ever conducted. Isosceles has comprehensive responsibility for technical direction of the investigation of the riverine portion of the site, spanning approximately 135 miles of river in western Massachusetts and Connecticut. Isosceles has managed and directed aspects of the study design, technical management, and site assessment, and provides technical direction for programs in numerical fate and transport modeling, human health risk assessment, and ecological risk assessment, in addition to various other technical areas. Isosceles is responsible to EPA for development and monitoring of the overall project schedule and provides services to expedite scheduled completion of project tasks. Isosceles also provides final review and technical editing of major reports, press releases, fact sheets, and similar documents, and conducts presentations on behalf of EPA at public meetings and technical conferences. Isosceles staff attend meetings between EPA and the PRP and provide assistance in negotiation and strategic planning.
- Strategic Planning and Environmental Management Consulting Services, Property Acquisition and Development Services, New Boston Fund, Inc. The Isosceles Group (Isosceles) (as SHD) provides continuing services related to the management of environmental issues evaluation, acquisition and/or development of industrial and commercial properties. Isosceles staff have provided environmental consulting services to NBF and related entities since 1996. Since the founding of Isosceles in 2000, we have performed work for NBF and its affiliates at 71 locations, in 11 states. This work includes Due Diligence Assessment in accordance with ASTM, HUD, and FREDDIE MAC guidelines and standards, risk screening, estimation of remedial response action costs, management of abatement and rehabilitation services, procurement of environmental insurance, and compliance monitoring. Isosceles is currently assisting NBF in the management of environmental compliance requirements at a multi-asset industrial portfolio in Connecticut, and the abatement of Lead dust at a NBF property prior to the termination of a long-term lease.
- MCP/Solid Waste Closure at Future Development Site, Bethlehem Steel Corp. The Isosceles Group (Isosceles) (as SHD) staff provided Project Management Services for required environmental response actions and closure of a former off-site disposal facility for solid waste and asbestos containing debris that was generated at the Quincy Shipyard, and other sources. The site was located within the limits of a proposed high school development. Closure required the consideration of applicable requirements of TSCA, Massachusetts Solid Waste and Hazardous Waste regulations, and various state and federal asbestos regulations, as well as the planned future use of the site. Isosceles was responsible for the identification of Potential Imminent Hazard Conditions, and the implementation of Immediate Response Actions and management and implementation of a Public Involvement Plan (PIP).
- Development of a Web-Based International EH&S Management System, Pfizer Corporation. On behalf of Pfizer, The Isosceles Group (Isosceles) (as SHD) developed a web-based EH&S management system for more than 750 worldwide distribution, office, and sales and support facilities in more than 60 countries on all continents to evaluate risks that were not previously addressed by the Facility and EH&S management structure. Isosceles developed a series of questionnaires to which facilities could respond via a web-based portal, to gain an understanding of each facility's basic operations, systems, potential risks, staffing, level of training, and staff competency with handling of various risks. These surveys, supported with selected physical in-facility audits to confirm the web-based survey results, allowed for the development of new programs to allow for sustainable risk management systems to be implemented across the globe. As part of this program Isosceles implemented a fast-tracked knowledge-transfer program to improve EHS performance at international facilities. By utilizing a combination of web-based tools and focused audits, Isosceles was able to quickly transfer corporate requirements and model programs from other international facilities to on-site staff.