1. Keeping industrial pollutants from entering the nation’s waters;
2. Reducing the risks of accidental releases at industrial and chemical facilities;
3. Reducing hazardous air pollutants; a. This initiative has been expanded by adding focus to large storage tanks and hazardous waste facilities.
4. Reducing air pollution from the largest sources;
5. Ensuring energy extraction activities are in compliance with environmental laws;
6. Preventing raw sewage and contaminated stormwater from entering the nation’s waters; and
7. Preventing animal waste from contaminating surface and groundwater.
These Initiatives constitute the EPA’s top enforcement priorities for the next three years. Industry can expect increased enforcement in the above areas beginning October 1, 2016, when the new Initiative cycle begins.